Sleep apnea is a condition that affects people of all ages. It is a serious condition that can lead to health problems, including high blood pressure, heart disease, and stroke.
Sleep apnea is a condition in which a person stops breathing for short periods of time during sleep. These periods of not breathing can last for 10 seconds or more and can happen many times throughout the night.
What are the Symptoms of Sleep Apnea?
The most common symptom of sleep apnea is loud snoring. Other symptoms include:
· Waking up gasping for air
· Waking up with a headache
· Feeling tired during the day
· Trouble concentrating
· Moodiness or irritability
Types of Sleep Apnea
There are two types of sleep apnea:
· Obstructive sleep apnea – This is the most common type of sleep apnea. It happens when the muscles in the back of the throat relax and block the airway.
· Central sleep apnea – This type of sleep apnea happens when the brain doesn’t send signals to the muscles that control breathing.
Sleep Apnea Treatment
Treatment for sleep apnea may include lifestyle changes, such as losing weight and sleeping on your side. You may also need to use a continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) machine. A CPAP machine is a device that helps keep the airway open while you sleep.
Mouth Appliances for Sleep Apnea
Mouth appliances are also a treatment option for sleep apnea. Mouth appliances are devices that are worn while you sleep. They help keep the airway open by bringing the lower jaw forward.
If you think you may have sleep apnea, please contact Ardas Family Dental to schedule an appointment. We will be happy to help you find the best treatment option for your needs.