TMJ stands for Temporomandibular Joint. The TMJ is the joint that connects the lower jaw to the skull. TMJ disorders are a type of dysfunction that can cause pain in the jaw and face.
Symptoms of TMJ
Symptoms of TMJ can include:
· Pain in the jaw
· Pain in the face
· Ear pain
· Neck pain
· Clicking or popping sound when opening the mouth
Causes of TMJ
There are many possible causes of TMJ, including:
· Trauma to the jaw
· Teeth grinding (bruxism)
TMJ treatment can vary depending on the cause of the disorder. Treatment options can include:
· Oral splint therapy – This type of therapy involves wearing a mouthguard-like appliance that helps to position the jaw in a comfortable position.
· Physical therapy – Physical therapy exercises can help to stretch and strengthen the muscles around the TMJ.
· Surgery – In some cases, surgery may be necessary to treat TMJ disorders.
· Occlusal Night Guards – A night guard can provide relief for TMJ symptoms.
Ardas Family Dental can help you with all of your dental needs. We provide dental exams, cleanings, and cosmetic services. We also offer root canal retreatment, endodontic surgery, gum grafting, and TMJ treatment. Give us a call today to schedule an appointment!